Wednesday, July 15, 2015

An Overwhelming Presence

There I was, settled in a creaky bunk bed in a state park campground dormitory.  We were on an overnight retreat with some high schoolers from school. But it's not the nighttime wildlife that I consider...not the sound of crickets chirping, or raccoons scrambling through trash cans, or even the rowdiness of guys playing a late night card game. My thoughts turn to the afternoon arboretum hike undertaken earlier that day. 

And while on that hike, amidst the array of plantlife - of fallen trees and hollowed stumps, I recognized a repeated "threat" that continuously consumed my focus.

The overwhelming presence of spiders. I mean, everywhere. Webs stretched across paths with small captured prey caught in the grasp of the arachnid traps.  Ducking, eyes squinting searching for possible silky threads hanging in my path. I continued along the uneven terrain wondering where the next mini-beast would appear.  And not just me...but many others noticed the uncanny amount of eight-legged creatures.  Which carried late into the evening, when prior to an outrageous game of capture the flag...I enjoyed the benefit of watching a black widow spider play capture-the-moth.  The spider won.

And so, there I was again in the coldness of the dormitory.  Laying in the bunk pondering how much my thoughts had been focused on those tiny, yet dark, creatures that had been allowed by God to "overtake" the wooded area.

And it hit me.  This is just what I do on a daily basis.  Not look for spiders, but focus on the "dark" things of life.  Looking for the next spiritual attack.  Focusing intently on the sin so obvious in myself or the lives of others.  Staring unswervingly at the difficulties or hardships along the path of the day.  Recognizing the overwhelming presence of the fallen world around me.

But what do I miss while doing so?  The Maker of all things beautiful.  Focusing intently on the victory of the cross and the power of the Resurrection which overcame the sting and power of sin and death.  Staring unswervingly at the majesty of my Lord who is sovereign over and working intimately in each and every difficulty or hardship.  Recognizing the overwhelming presence of the glory of God in the midst of a fallen world.

How sad...that I spent all that time looking for the tiniest of creatures at the cost of missing the splendor of the environment around me.  And too often, I spend time looking to the past, or the present shame-ridden steps, instead of gazing upon the One worthy of my attention, worthy of the love of my mind, worthy of the worship of my heart.

As the Psalmist declared, so too should we - "You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore" (Psalm 16:11).  What a beautiful Truth of which to walk in constant consideration.

So with utter fatigue knocking at the door of my mind, I rolled over in the creaky bunk and praised God for changing my attention from the things of the earth to the Glory of heaven.  And that was how my day ended.  Aware of the overwhelming presence of the glory of God.  May that be how I rest today.  Aware of Him.

#4hisfame.

No comments: