Tuesday, July 21, 2015

The Heat is ON

At some points today, I'm pretty sure my body has undergone some temperature shocks as I have moved from the arctic tundra of my office to the blazing heat of southern Louisiana crouching at the door, waiting to consume me.  My body doesn't know whether to thaw out or chill out?!?!

What's interesting though...moving between church buildings or just sitting outside to read a bit (that would be a very, very small amount of time), I can sense the energy being zapped from inside.  Like the heat beckons any ounce of energy to escape my body from each and every pore, leaving me lethargic and almost lifeless in momentum.  And please understand, I KNOW there are so many in the heat.  All day long.  With no arctic tundra for an office or even air conditioning in which to momentarily rest...I simply mention this to paint a contrast of the climate around me.

So the heat settles in.  And besides the sweat pouring down, what else pours out and escapes?  First, my patience.  There it goes.  Next, my Christ-like attitude of contentment.  Complaining has taken hold.  Third, my will to honor the Lord by not letting the temperature gage my desire to do what He has called me to do.  Yep, the heat is too much.  Change of plans - on to my plans.

And at this point, I'm not talking about the heat measured in fahrenheit.  Now, I'm talking about the heat of circumstances that our Lord uses to refine our being.  The heat of intense situations that bring up from the depths within us the things we don't want to realize are still holding residence inside. It's like as the heat rises, so is the ease of putting on display the things we don't want to rise up in our flesh.  

So, as I wipe the sweat from my brow, I ask myself, as I ask you - should the temperature of the trials around us dictate how we respond in the heat?  Absolutely not.  If it does, we are functioning out of our flesh instead of the cool, refreshing life of the Spirit flowing from with us.  And so, within those trials and times that seem too much, when we must with everything within us hold fast to the Spirit of God strengthening us, perhaps we should remember God's Word in James 1:11: "Blessed is the man who remains steadfast under trial, for when he has stood the test he will receive the crown of life, which God has promised to those who love him."  

I believe we can pass the test.  I believe we can withstand the heat.  I believe we can praise Him in the scorching nature of our trials.  And then, when we do get to chill in the calming springs of Christ, praise Him then also.

#4hisfame.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great reminder!