Friday, July 10, 2015

His Purpose Will Stand

Countless times I have felt that my efforts fall short of any form of magnificent ability to bring about the best results that could possibly come to pass.  No matter how much I study, prepare, plan, organize, save up, enlist, ask for help, cast vision, rest, stay busy, read, pray, disciple, be discipled, (and the list could go on) I find this law at work within me:

My efforts are never really good enough.  Never.

They might look good or seem beneficial, however, Scripture teaches that apart from Christ, as John 15:5 states, I can do nothing.  Nothing of any significant, lasting, eternal, valuable, meaningful, excellent, God-glorifying worth.

Now, I know that God blesses us with gifts and talents that we are able to function in on a daily basis; however, if we are totally relying on ourselves in a moment for success, our flesh will feed us lies to think that we can rely on ourselves more of the time...and more of the time...until we wind up like the world, and find ourselves trying to do life on our own.  Apart from Christ.  Apart from His Spirit's power.  Apart from God.

So, what can I say to offer hope in the midst of this ever-present condition of the human nature?  What can we focus on to know what God desires of us in the parts we play in His glorious plan of redemption and obedience?  I think what is best to quote would be Scripture itself.

"The heart of man plans his way, but the LORD establishes his steps." - Proverbs 16:9

"Many are the plans in the mind of a man, but it is the purpose of the LORD that will stand." - Proverbs 19:21

"Remember this and stand firm, recall it to mind, you transgressors, remember the former things of old; for I am God, and there is no other; I am God, and there is none like me, declaring the end from the beginning and from ancient times things not yet done, saying, ‘My counsel shall stand, and I will accomplish all my purpose,’ calling a bird of prey from the east, the man of my counsel from a far country. I have spoken, and I will bring it to pass; I have purposed, and I will do it." - Isaiah 46:8-11


I can rejoice in knowing that what God wants accomplished, nothing I can do or NOT do will keep Him from fulfilling His purposes. And, as I trust in Him and rest in Him, I can be even more confident that He will use the obedience we bring Him in love to bring about "everything according to the counsel of His will" (Ephesians 1:11).

Believer, today I encourage you to trust in the One who enables you to be filled with all wisdom and ability to obey for His honor and pleasure. And when you feel that you are not good enough, or that what you bring to Him is not good enough, remember that He is at work in you to do through you what He desires to take place. Praise Him today...His purpose WILL stand.

#4hisfame.

No comments: